Monday, November 10, 2014

Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick Set Review

Are you ready for this? This is going to be the most descriptive, photo heavy blog post I have ever made. Luckily for you guys, I put almost all the pictures into a collage format so it's not going to be an endless scrolling post haha.

This is a full review of the Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick Set. This set was created for the 2014 holiday season at Sephora, and boy oh boy was I happy to see it. I've been wanting to try one of the Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipsticks for the longest time, but there was just too many colours I wanted! This set offers me the opportunity to try out 9 of the 31 shades, see if I love the formula, and make my decision to buy a full sized lipstick. Similar to my Origins post, I will be rating on the price, quality and effectiveness.

In this set, you get 9 0.04oz mini lipsticks. This is about half the size of the full sized lipsticks, which is worth it considering you get 9 shades. The set is $47 and for one full sized lipstick it's $26. 

The Packaging
One thing that has caught my attention to purchase one of these lipsticks, or the set, was the packaging. The attention to detail, and the unique design. Some people have said that the packaging for this set was poorly made, but it seems fine to me. Though it is plastic, it doesn't feel too cheap. 

The colours:
I love the variety of shades you get in this set. It kind of looks like we have 4 red shades, but all are of different undertones, so they all look fairly different once you put them on. All the shades are matte, with a couple of them that have some iridescence/glitter to them. 

This one has got to be my favourite shade of the whole set. I would describe this lipstick as a mauve/pale pink. If you are still on the hunt for Kylie Jenner's lip shade, this one comes pretty close to it. I absolutely love it. I would definitely wear some blush and bronzer though if you wear this, especially if you're pale because I feel the colour kind of washes you out. Well, at least it made me look kind of dead. Still love the colour though! (5/5)

Hexagram
This one is one of the better lipsticks in the whole set. And by better I mean it had no issues when I applied it. There was minimal tugging and the colour was pigmented and went on smoothly. Hexagram is described as a matte blood red, perfect for fall/winter. (5/5)

A very pale peach nude shade that I wanted to love, but didn't. This is such a gorgeous nude shade but it looked horrible on me. It definitely made my dry lips look even more dry. If you are looking to buy this set, make sure your lips are extremely moisturized and maybe even exfoliated. Least favourite. (1/5)

I think I received this shade from last year's Sephora Give Me More Lip set, and I didn't like it because of the gold glitter flakes. (Just doubled checked, and it was.) Upon applying the colour, the glitter doesn't show too much so it is definitely wearable. Its described as a metallic golden red. (2/5)

I have a love-hate relationship with this shade. I LOVE what it looks like in the tube and swatched, but I hate how it looks on my lips. From the swatch, you can already tell it doesn't go on smoothly. It tugs on your lips because the formula is extremely matte/drying? I don't know. This is one shade I wanted to buy a full size of until I tried this mini version. I hope that the full sized one isn't like this one because I love this colour! (2.5/5)

To my surprise, I actually love this shade. Described as a hot orange red, I never thought this would be one of the colours I would lean towards to. Usually orange/corals look really bad with my skin tone, but this one looks great on me. My teeth look even whiter when I wear this lipstick. Awesome colour. (5/5)

This iridescent pink colour is the perfect Barbie pink. Its not too overdrying, but the colour isn't as pigmented as the rest of the shades. Its not as glittery as the other iridescent colours which makes it look more matte than anything. (3/5)

Described as an iridescent neon lilac, this gorgeous shade looks like it came out of a fantasy novel. It honestly reminds me of unicorns for some reason haha. This was one of the colours I was excited to try, and honestly, not that amazing. The colour of course is beautiful, but the fact that its iridescent makes it pretty transparent, so you have to apply a lot of layers for a full, pigmented lip. (3/5)

This bright reddish fuchsia is at the top of the list as well. The lipstick glided on smoothly, and the colour is true to its shade. The pink undertone of it makes it a great spring lipstick, for a pretty pop of colour. (5/5)

Swatches under room lighting:
From left to right: Bachelorette, Wonderchilde, Sexer, Countess, Motorhead, Adora, Agatha, Hexagram, and Lovecraft.

Under room lighting with natural light.
From left to right: Bachelorette, Wonderchilde, Sexer, Countess, Motorhead, Adora, Agatha, Hexagram, and Lovecraft.

Under natural light only:
From left to right: Bachelorette, Wonderchilde, Sexer, Countess, Motorhead, Adora, Agatha, Hexagram, and Lovecraft.

Don't ask me why I was looking up LOL. I didn't want to look directly at the camera.
Excuse my shiny face, I decided it would be a great time to try on these lipsticks after work at midnight. My favourite colours would have to be: Bachelorette, Lovecraft, Hexagram, and Countess.

Upclose:
You can see how some of them look really drying and splotchy on my lips. I have a problem with picking my lips, especially during the colder months, and you can definitely see the discolouration on my lips when I'm wearing Wonderchilde and I think Motorhead as well. 

Verdict:

I like this set, but I definitely don't love it. Some of the shades were just terrible (Agatha and Motorhead), but the rest of them worked great. The matte finish formula they have is fairly different from any matte lipsticks I've tried in the past. They're a lot more thinner, and the physical lipstick itself is hard, which requires you to have to drag the lipstick on your lips. Is that a good or bad thing? I don't know. I'm quite happy that I did purchase it because it shows me which colours work and which don't. I learned about colours I wouldn't have thought of buying at all too! Now the question is, should you buy it? Yes and no. Yes, if you're planning on purchasing any full sized Kat Von D lipstick, this is a great way to test out the colours and see if you like the formula. No, if you're just looking for a lipstick set to buy this Christmas. 

What is your favourite shade out of this lip set? 

3 comments:

  1. Lovecraft is my favourite shade! The packaging is so pretty! x
    Emma | Emmys Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this blog post. I was totally considering getting this and i love the thorough review! (P.S. totally getting it.) I have my eyes on lovecraft and mötorhead. I currently already own the full-sized lipsticks of hers: slayer, coven and poe, but am looking for a simpler variety. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your comments, so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...